6 – 8 weeks before moving home
- Plan and research your moving transportation, do you require professional movers or do you have friends and family that can help you?
- If you are hiring professional movers, make sure that you are covered by insurance.
- Create a ‘moving folder’ to keep a record of everything you need related to your move. For example, receipts, real-estate documents, etc.
- Research storage facilities if needed.
- Redirect your mail: Contact Australia Post and organise for your mail to be redirected to your new address. Don’t forget to let the appropriate parties know that you have changed your address so you can stop the redirect after a certain time frame. (6 months is usually a good time frame)
- Check out your new area, if you have kids take them for an outing to visit the local parks and playgrounds and the new school. If you have pets, check out where the dogs parks are.
- Hold a garage sale so you can donate or sell any unwanted items. You can also donate any unwanted clothes, books, or household goods to charity. You can donate to The Salvation Army here.
- Contact the local council to arrange a rubbish pick up if you have access rubbish to remove from your current property.
Visit Lumo’s Moving House Page to learn more about our moving home discounts and how we can make sure your gas and electricity are on when you move in.
15 October 2014
Category: Moving Home