2-4 weeks before moving home
- Finalise transportation, movers and arrange for any extra helpers. The more help the better.
- If you have kids, arrange for babysitters if needed. If you have older kids that want to help (feeling optimistic?) write a plan for them, so they know what they can help with. Read our article on Moving with Kids for more detailed advice.
- Schedule the disconnection and connection of utilities at your old and new home. Find out more about connecting with Lumo. Don’t forget, phone, internet, water and any other services you'll need at your new residence.
- Discontinue or redirect any delivery services, automated payment plans and local memberships.
- Update your details with your current service providers, for example, check that your bank, insurance and superannuation providers know your new address and contact details.
- Update your drivers licence and vehicle registration documents.
- Tell your GP, dentist or health provider: make sure you give your doctor and dentist your new address and contact details.
- Don’t forget your pets! They have needs too, so make sure you contact your current vet and let them know you're moving. If you need to transfer them to a new vet, ensure all their details are transferred too. Also, remember to change or update pet registrations with your local council. Check out our article on Moving with Pets for more information.
- Create an inventory list of items to use as a checklist on moving day.
- Begin packing non-essential items.
- Consider labeling your boxes with their contents and what room they belong in – this will help with the unpacking at the other end.
- Identify valuable items to transfer separately – you don’t want those family heirlooms going missing.
- Create an 'essentials box' to keep with you on the day of your move. It'll come in handy the first couple of days after moving, so you don’t have to search through and open all the boxes looking for a 'must have' item.
- Contact a cleaning service to make sure they are available for a suitable date after your move.
For more information about how to make moving day less stressful, we also have a checklist of things to do 1-2 weeks before you move.
20 October 2014
Category: Moving Home