privacy and credit reporting policyPrivacy and Credit Reporting Policy
Lumo Energy (Lumo Energy, we, us, our) has implemented this Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy to provide you with information about how we collect, store, use and disclose your personal and credit-related personal information that you provide to us. If you have any questions regarding this Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy, you should contact the Lumo Energy Privacy Officers in any of the ways specified under "Contact us", below.
We reserve the right to change this Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy at any time by posting an updated version of the policy on this website. You should visit this page periodically to review the Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy for changes.
Collecting your personal information
"Personal information" is information or an opinion, whether true or not and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, and includes sensitive information. "Sensitive information" has the same meaning as in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). It includes information such as information or an opinion about an individual's racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual orientation, criminal record, and health or biometric information.
We will only collect personal information about you if you provide it to us knowingly or otherwise in accordance with this policy. We collect your personal information to allow us to conduct our business functions and to market and sell our products and services, as well as the specific purposes for which we collect your personal information is set out in the section entitled "Using your personal information" below. If you do not provide certain personal information, we may not be able to provide certain of our services to you.
When you register with us, acquire services, visit our website (see below), request information about us or our products, or otherwise contact us (via our website or otherwise), we may collect personal information about you including (but not limited to) your full name, email address, telephone number, address, date of birth, drivers licence details, concession card information, National Metering Identifier (NMI), Meter Installation Registration Number (MIRN) and Delivery Point Identifier (DPI), information about your energy consumption and information about your income and payment preferences.
Where we engage with you multiple times over a short period in relation to the same matter (such as a billing enquiry), we may not provide you with a separate notice about privacy each time we engage with you.
We may record phone conversations for quality, compliance and training purposes.
Using your personal information
We collect personal information about you to:
- communicate with you and assist us in the provision of energy, telecommunications and other products and services to you;
- assist you by providing you with information and support, and managing and administering any account you may hold with us;
- provide concessions, state government assistance grants, energy audits and/or hardship assistance;
- administer our website;
- keep you up to date with events, products and services that may be of interest to you;
- help us research the needs of our customers and to market our products and services with a better understanding of your needs and the needs of customers generally;
- conduct research for the purposes of improving existing products or services or creating new products or services;
- communicate with contractors, agents and suppliers;
- comply with legal and regulatory obligations;
- for other purposes required or authorised by law, including other purposes for which you have provided your consent;
- process any job application submitted by you; and
- allow us to provide advertising material to you regarding us, our related entities and our business partners.
We will not use personal information provided by you to us in a manner inconsistent with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), the National Privacy Principles (or, after 12 March 2014, the Australian Privacy Principles) or any other relevant laws or guidelines.
Disclosing your personal information
We may provide your personal information on a confidential basis to third parties in the course of delivering energy and other products and related services to you and to achieve the purposes specified in "Using your personal information", above. These parties may include our related entities, third parties that provide products and services to us or through us, or other third parties such as credit reporting agencies, debt collecting agencies, regulatory or government authorities, your authorised representatives on your account, and representatives, agents or contractors who are appointed by us in the ordinary operation of our business to assist us in providing energy or energy-related services or administering our business (such as for data storage or processing, printing, mailing, marketing, planning and product or service development). We may also disclose your personal information to our website host or IT service providers in certain limited circumstances, for example when our website experiences a technical problem or to ensure that it operates in an effective and secure manner.
We will not sell, rent or lease your personal information to any other party.
Generally, we'll only disclose your personal to these parties:
- for the purposes set out in this Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy or any agreement you enter into with us;
- in circumstances permitted by the National Privacy Principles (and, from 12 March 2014, the Australian Privacy Principles);
- if we are otherwise required or authorised by law, including without limitation the National Privacy Principles (and, from 12 March 2014, the Australian Privacy Principles) under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth); or
- if the disclosure is made with your consent.
We may collect all types of credit information and credit reporting information (collectively, credit-related personal information) as described below:
"Credit information" is the basic category of personal information in the credit reporting system. It includes the following types of information collected by us that we may give to a credit reporting body:
- your identification information;
- information about any application for credit you make with us including the amount of credit you apply for; and
- default information;
"Credit reporting information" means credit information that a credit reporting body holds and discloses to us about a customer or the information derived by us from the credit reporting information, for example a credit score.
Using your credit-related personal information
We collect credit-related personal information when you apply for and open an account with Lumo Energy in relation to any energy, telecommunications and other products and services.
Subject to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (as amended), for the purposes of assessing an application to open an account, we may:
- collect credit-related personal information about you from other sources including but not limited to, any of Lumo Energy's related entities, credit reporting bodies and credit or debt collection agencies;
- receive credit-related personal information and disclose credit-related personal information to any credit provider or any credit reporting body for the purposes of exchange of information, assessing credit worthiness and notification of credit default; and
- where you default in your payment obligations to us, disclose information relating to that default account to a debt collections agency for the purpose of receiving any or all of the amounts outstanding.
- by mail to Veda Information Services & Solutions Ltd, PO Box 964, North Sydney NSW 2059; or
- via their website at http://www.veda.com.au/privacy
- credit reporting bodies may include credit information we provide to them about you in reports provided to other credit providers to assist them to assess your credit worthiness;
- if you fail to meet your payment obligations in relation to consumer credit, or commit a serious credit infringement, we may disclose this to a credit reporting body;
- you can request a credit reporting body not to use your credit reporting information for the purposes of pre-screening of direct marketing by us; and
- you can request a credit reporting body not to use or disclose your credit reporting information if you believe on reasonable grounds that you have been (or are likely to be) a victim of fraud.
Some of your personal information or credit-related personal information may be disclosed, processed or stored overseas by us or by our third party service providers. In particular, as at the date this Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy was most recently updated, your personal or credit-related personal information will be disclosed to recipients in New Zealand, the Philippines, India, and other countries from time to time. This may happen if our related entities are overseas, if our service providers are located overseas, or if transactions, information, services or products have an overseas connection. Where such parties are located overseas, you may have rights to enforce such parties' compliance with applicable data protection laws, but you may not have recourse against those parties under the Australian Privacy Act in relation to how those parties treat your personal information.
You agree to the disclosure and use of such personal information and credit-related personal information in accordance with this Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy, and consent to its disclosure overseas and its use by third parties, including our related entities and service providers, in New Zealand, the Philippines, India, and such other countries in which those parties or their computer systems may be located from time to time, where it may be used solely for the purposes described in this Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy, without us being responsible for such use (or for any breach).
You consent to us using your personal information from time to time to send you information regarding special offers or promotions about us or our products and services, as well as the products and services of our related entities and our business partners. You also consent to us sending you such information by means of direct mail, telemarketing, email, SMS and MMS messages. We will only do this if we believe this will be of interest to you. If you do not want us to send you any of this material or if you want to stop receiving direct marketing, you can let us know by using the "Contact us" information specified below.
Safeguarding your personal and credit-related personal information
We will take reasonable steps to preserve the security of your personal, credit-related personal information and other information or data collected by us. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as perfectly secure. As a result, although we strive to protect your personal and credit-related personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us over the Internet. You transmit such information at your own risk.
Accessing and updating your personal and credit-related personal information
You are entitled to access personal or credit-related personal information that we hold about you. If you request access to your personal or credit-related personal information, in ordinary circumstances we will give you full access. However, there may be some legal or administrative reasons to deny access. If we refuse your request to access your personal and credit-related personal information, we will provide you with reasons for the refusal unless it is unreasonable to do so.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request amendment of it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
How we deal with your queries and complaints about credit-related personal information
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that credit-related personal information we collect and use is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you believe that credit-related personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request that the information be corrected.
We will give you a written acknowledgement of your query or complaint within 7 days of it being made. We will then consider if the credit-related personal information requires amendment and take reasonable steps to correct the credit-related personal information within 30 days from the day on which the request is made or such longer period as you have agreed in writing. In certain circumstances, we may also need to consult another party in order to respond to you.
If we are required to correct any of your credit-related personal information which we have previously disclosed to a third party, we will give each recipient of the credit-related personal information written notice of the correction within a reasonable period, unless we consider it impracticable to do so.
We are a member of the Energy and Water Ombudsman of Victoria (EWOV). If you are not satisfied with the outcome of our investigation in relation to our handling of credit-related personal information or an access or correction request you may take your complaint to EWOV. A complaint relating to your personal information may ultimately be addressed to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Privacy Collection statement
To assist us in the provision of energy and other products and services, we may need to collect personal information (including credit information) about you.
By providing your personal information, you agree to its use and disclosure in accordance with this statement and our Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy. If you do not agree, you must not provide your personal information, and we may not be able to provide certain of our products or services to you.
We may disclose your personal information to other parties, including our related companies, credit reporting bodies for the purpose of conducting credit checks or reporting defaults, third parties who provide us services in connection with our business (e.g. our call centre operators, IT service providers and debt collection agencies), regulatory or government authorities and authorised representatives.
From time to time, these third parties may be located (and therefore your personal information may be disclosed) overseas, including India, the Philippines and New Zealand. We may use and disclose your personal information for direct marketing purposes, unless you opt out.
Our Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy is available at http://www.lumoenergy.com.au/help-centre/privacy-policy. It contains information about how you may access and seek correction of your personal information, how you may complain about a breach of your privacy, how we will deal with that complaint and credit reporting and credit reporting bodies we use.
If you have any questions about our Privacy Collection Statement, please call Lumo Energy on 1300 369 279.
If you would like to access the personal or credit-related personal information that we hold about you, have a query or complaint or would like further information about our Privacy and Credit Reporting Policy, you can contact us by:
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visiting http://www.lumoenergy.com.au/help-centre/complaints
- Calling Lumo Energy on 1300 368 938, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm
Last updated: 28 April 2014
References to Lumo Energy are references to Lumo Energy Australia ACN 100 528 327.