how to save on electricity costs
There are some easy and effective ways to save energy and reduce the electricity costs of your next power bill. The following guide provides some great tips for how to save on electricity bills, from switching off the lights to going as far as looking for a new provider.
One of the best ways to save on electricity is to shop around and find a cheaper electricity provider in your area. If you've never switched electricity provider, you may also be paying some of the most expensive rates, so if you do change, you will be able to take advantage of the market competition and benefit from lower electricity costs. Many electricity suppliers offer numerous discounts and rewards on top of competitive prices to save their customers even more money. For example, Lumo Energy offers a discount of up to 10% for on time payments.
Some easy ways to reduce the amount of electricity used in your home include:
Replacing incandescent light globes with fluorescent bulbs to save to up to 75% of your lighting costs.
- Turning off lights and switching off appliances at the wall when not in use
- Avoiding highest settings for heating or cooling and do not heat or cool areas which are not in use
- Sealing gaps in doors and floors and covering windows for extra insulation
- Setting your hot water thermostat between 60 Celsius and 65 Celsius or choose solar hot water
- Reducing use of hot water by fixing drips and installing water efficient shower heads
- Running washing machines and dishwashers with a full load
- Using cold water for washing machines where possible and using a front load washing machine
- Avoiding clothes dryers? Try hanging your clothes on the line or a clothes horse instead.
See below for more information on how to save on electricity bills by using off peak electricity.
use off peak electricity
If your electricity provider offers an off peak electricity bill, you can significantly save on electricity by making sure that energy hungry appliances are used during off-peak electricity times. By restricting the use of appliances, such as hot water services, pool pumps and other heating units to off peak times, you can dramatically reduce your electricity costs. Appliances that work effectively overnight to store hot water, clean pool water, or store heat ready for use the next day are good candidates for connection to off peak electricity.